Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Finally being in Egypt ...

So,

It has been over 6 years since I have been in Egypt and said the words "mashy" (ok), or "shukrun" (thank you), or better still "eh araf da?!" (what the hell is that?!) "bil gazma adeema" (with an old shoe - in a hitting motion)! 6 years since I eat the most delicious foods, like fateer  (a pastry filled with savoury or sweet foods), falafel (which is actually green inside) or the tasty lemon juice, which my sister Mona loves so much. Soon Emma, I will eat some Kosheri! 6 years since seeing my favourite family members (minus the crazy ones) and best friends, who have shown so much love and loyalty to me in the past. Needless to say getting off the plane, at each time I eat or drink, every close friend or family member I see, I am in a state of exaltation.

When the revolution was occurring I had never felt the need to leave London so much before. I had never longed to be in Egypt so much before actually. However, I was in my workplace watching AlJazeera Live none stop! I couldn't believe I was not there, fighting, shouting and moreover helping to get rid of a man who had oppressed the country for 30 years. I was in contact with family and friends (after the internet and phone lines were brought back), which all the more made me want to be in Egypt. I arrive months after the revolution took part and have missed out ... but Egypt is re-building, and talking about change everywhere ... here I can take part.

Not much has changed in the way of food and drink, chat and temperature, which I am glad of. Nevertheless there is change in the air, I like change, let's see what the change will amount to!

Yallah (come one) Egypt :)


1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful Mish - your writing never seems to astound me xxx Im soo excited to read more!!

    ReplyDelete